Welcome!

My name is Nicole Deerr and I am a Post-Bacc student at UWM, and working towards getting my license to become a High School English Teacher! I already have a degree in Psychology because I was passionate about helping people, but after a few jobs in the social work field, I felt that there was something missing. I always had English on the back burner of my mind, and after working with City Year Milwaukee, where I tutored and mentored high school students in their English classes, I realized I could put the two together! My love of helping youth as well as reading and writing!

My guilty pleasure has always been YA Literature, and I am glad that I can take my love of this genre into my future classroom! I also love the creative writing process and loved seeing how creative kids can be! I am also attempting to write my own YA fantasy novel! I hope to not only teach standard English classes, but also help foster and engage students in Creative Writing classes as well!

The site below is a resource I learned about from a previous class. It can be used as an engaging tool to get your students to participate by using their phones (or other electronic device). Students are always attached to their phones, and what better way than to use that to get them engaged!

                                                   https://kahoot.com/


Comments

  1. Hi Nicole,
    Thanks for sharing. I hope you will love teaching English! Kahoot is a nice website and resource for all content areas. I will say that it has become a bit overused in classrooms so students are becoming somewhat bored with it, although it is definitely worth looking at and trying out!
    Thanks for sharing-
    Barb S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, I love how you have decorated your homepage. I want to come to your class! I too love books, reading and writing. What a life changing experience you had working with City Year Milwaukee!
    I look forward to hearing and seeing more!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole,
    It's awesome that you're in this career for altruistic reasons! I've overheard some classmates say terrifying things about why they're going in to teaching. Also, very cool that you're writing a YA novel-- it must give you a deeper appreciation for the genre and the beautiful books therein.
    Micah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole,
    It's pretty amazing that you decided to come back to school for something you wanted to do, it's brave and a lot of people would have settled. The work you have done with kids seems really exciting and would love to hear more about it. I too have, or am trying, to mix all of my passions into one career it's hard but super rewarding. Thanks for sharing.
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nicole,

    I love the energy that came across in your blog post, I can really tell you're excited for your career in education. I hope that if you still love Psychology that you might have a chance to teach a course about it at your future job placement. As well, if there isn't already a club for volunteering at whichever school you work at, you can always create one and give your students an opportunity to see why you love giving back to the community! Wouldn't it be great to be able to combine your interests into a true dream job?

    Thanks for your post,
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment