Texting, Technology, and Teaching


I am going to become an English Teacher, and one of the concerns that I have is teaching students who are using social media for most of their communication. Social media is a huge outlet that allows students to use their writing, reading, and communication skills all in one. I appreciate the ability that social media has on getting students to read, even if it’s very informally. Facebook for instance, always has articles, news sources, as well as their personal status updates, but it all allows them to read constantly.

What social media also has, is it’s own form of language. This special language is completely different than what is expected when writing for school or professional setting. Students are so familiar with this language and use it so often, it makes me wonder what effect it has when they have to write formal papers. I, myself, use this lingo here and there, but because I am read and write for fun, I understand when to use the lingo and when to use the “standard” way of writing.

For my inquiry this semester, I plan on researching more about how the use of social media and texting impacts students abilities to write academic material. I have seen it first hand how students have written on PowerPoints or in their papers. They sometimes have used the improper “u” or shortening words like they do in text. I would like to find out some more research on how much this increase of social media has effected our students ability to write effectively. I would also like to understand better ways to teach students how it’s okay to use that language when it’s in that context, but how to be able to switch when needed.

Since students are so involved in technology, I would also like to find ways in which I could use it to help engage my students in my class. English can be such a creative outlet for students, and I would like to find ways for them to engage in material that is unique and interesting to them.

These are some of the articles and dissertations that I have found related to these topics:


Everett, Amy T. The Influence of Text Messaging on Measures of Student Writing: A Meta-Analytic Review. The University of Alabama, Ann Abor, 2016

Lin, Chih-Cheng, et al. "Learning English Vocabulary Collaboratively in a Technology-Supported Classroom." Turkish Online Juournal of Educational Technology - TOJET, vol. 13, no.1, 2014 pp. 162-173

Long, Nancy Ann Zrinyi. "Creativity Through Technology in The English Classroom." Journal of College Teaching & Learning (TLC), vol. 2, no. 9, 2011, 


Mildren, S., Andenoro, Tony, & Crandall, Heather. Examining the Text Messaging Habits of Middle and High School Students and Their Percieved Impact on Language and Writing, 2010.ProQuest Dissertations and Theses.


Risto, Angela. The Impact of Texting and Social Media on Students’ Academic Writing Skills, Tennesse State University, Ann Arbor, 2014.



Comments

  1. Great start! This research will impact your classroom in such a positive way - teachers are struggling with these issues everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting area to study! Something I try to keep in mind is that language is always changing, and the way language is used by young people on social media is completely valid in its own right because it transfers meaning and creates understanding. However, there is a dominant form and style that is required in academic and professional writing--sometimes I wonder if this is another way of keeping stratified social structures, with the educated and wealthy remaining in their reserved place of self-allotted privilege. This could make the task of teaching formal writing even more important because it is tied up with social justice and giving all students the same tools to succeed in life.

    Thanks for posting!
    Micah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, I think your research will be important! As someone who is very involved in linguistics, I have seen many discussions on how English has evolved and how excited others who have studied the subject are with regards to this informal use of the language and its development. For example, how some "speakers" online actually switch between "u" and "you" within a sentence, or how "u" is used informally (like "tĂș" in Spanish) and "you" is the formal variant (like "Usted" in Spanish). I, too, think this is a very exciting shift in the language. However, much like Spanish, we do not use the informal tone in our professional and academic writing. Because of this, I think the first step is to acknowledge this change, and then to teach them that there's a time and a place for it, which is not at school.

    I'm looking forward to seeing what you find out, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being that this is so relevant these days, it seems we don't have enough information on this. I look forward to reading and learning more from you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment